Cultural diplomacy is an integral part of foreign and European politics and is one of the tools for asserting the state's interests. It contributes to the development of attractiveness and credibility of the Slovak Republic throughout the world. Compared to classic diplomacy, the specific attribute of cultural diplomacy is its focus on communication with the foreign public through culture and art. The purpose of cultural diplomacy is to help the positive perception of our country abroad.
The Department of Cultural Diplomacy, the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic closely cooperates with the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic, on the basis of an Agreement in 2009 between the MFEA SR and Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic in the field of cultural diplomacy and presentation of Slovak art and culture abroad.
The Department of Cultural Diplomacy coordinates Slovak institutes´ activities abroad (Berlin, Budapest, Moscow, Paris, Prague, Rome, Warsaw and Vienna). Slovak institutes are the organisational part of the MFEA SR and represent the institutional basis for the presentation of Slovak culture in foreign countries. They perform the presentation of Slovak art and cultural dimension of diplomacy in practice.
Events of varied genres, such as exhibitions, concerts, discussions, workshops, films, theatre performances, presentations of new books and many others, introduce the best and most recent from Slovak culture to the foreign public.
Significant anniversaries and events commemorated or celebrated by the Slovak Republic are presented by exhibitions, discussions and documentary films for the wide as well as professional public.
Further agenda of the Department of Cultural Diplomacy:
- The Department of Cultural Diplomacy of MFEA SR within its agenda cooperates with partner resorts and institutions in their direct control, primarily with the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic on the basis of the Agreement in 2009 between MC SR and MFEA SR.
- It participates in the creation of the fundamentals and implementation of bilateral relations in the field of culture, education, science, research. It helps to create the contractual framework from the point of foreign policy interests and priorities of the Slovak Republic in this field.
- The Department of Cultural Diplomacy is the coordinator for the intergovernmental bilateral agreements on cooperation in the field of culture, education, science, research and sport.
- In cooperation with the relevant government authorities, embassies and Slovak institutes abroad the Department of Cultural Diplomacy coordinates and implements the state cultural presentation in foreign countries, it participates in international cooperation in the field of culture, education, science and health care and regulates its development from the point of foreign policy interests and priorities.
- It controls and directs Slovak embassies' activities.
- It supports the cultural activities of all diplomatic missions - embassies, permanent missions and the consulate general.
- It controls and directs the activities of Slovak institutes which are the organisational part of the MFEA SR and represent the institutional basis for the presentation of Slovak culture abroad
- It prepares the meetings for the directors of the Slovak institutes and the meetings of the Council of the Slovak institutes, where the partner resorts and institutions are represented.
- It creates a database of successful projects and activities in the field of cultural diplomacy and cooperation to meet the needs of the ministry, the embassies of the Slovak Republic and the central government bodies of the Slovak Republic.
- The Department of Cultural Diplomacy supports the presentation of cultural values of other states in the Slovak Republic.
- It is responsible for the cooperation within multilateral cultural groupings (V4, EUNIC -European Union National Institutes for Culture, ASEF - Asia-Europe, PCCE - Platform Culture Central Europe, Eastern Partnership Platform etc.).
- The Department of Cultural Diplomacy cooperates with the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic in the field of educational and scientific agenda.
- It participates in the creation and ensuring the completion of the scholarship policy of the Slovak Republic.
- It holds membership in the Committee for Art and the Committee for Cultural Heritage of the Government Council for Culture.
- The Department of Cultural Diplomacy is the coordinator of the Joint Slovak-Austrian Committee in the field of culture, education and science and Intergovernmental Slovak-Ukrainian Committee for national minorities, education and culture.
- It coordinates the state and government honours.
- It coordinates the questions regarding Slovak citizens abroad and within the resort.
- It is also a coordinator for this agenda in cooperation with the Office for Slovaks living abroad.
- It cooperates with Slovaks living abroad especially through the embassies, consular posts and Slovak institutes abroad.