1. Home
  2. Services
  3. Registration of birth in the USA

Registration of birth in the USA

We would like to ask you to read General information.

Updated 21.07.2022
Published 21.07.2022

It is a state register on personal status of natural persons, which were born, died or get married on the territory of the Slovak Republic and Slovak citizens which were born, died or get married abroad.
Special Register includes entries about births, marriages and deaths of Slovak citizens abroad, at Slovak Embassies, boat or plane abroad and at territories, which do not belongs to any state.


Entry to the Special Register is executed on written application submitted with

a) birth certificate (applicant – legal guardian) issued by foreign state,

b) document proving Slovak citizenship (Slovak ID, Slovak passport, Slovak citizenship certificate),

c) entry on birth written at the Embassy or Register office or other document or proof.

At the time of event entering into the Special Register, the person of question should have been Slovak citizen.

The Special Register will register the event and issue birth certificate, which will be sent to the Embassy. The Embassy will deliver issued birth certificate to the person, who submitted the application.


Application for entry into Special Register – entry of birth

a) fulfilled: application to entry of birth

b) legalized (apostille) birth certificate of child issued by foreign state officially translated into Slovak language,

c) document proving Slovak citizenship of at least of parent of the child proving that parent was Slovak citizen at the moment of birth,

d) marriage certificate of parents or valid court decision on divorce,

e) in case that parents were not married at the moment of birth and in birth certification is not stipulated who father of the child is, applicants should make a statement stipulating who is father of the child (part of this

statement is agreement on surname of the child), (prosím prelinkovať na Applications – 14. Statement of parents on entry of birth into Special Register, tak, aby sa osobe otvoril priamo document)

f) in case that parent of the child is widowed it is necessary to submit death certificate of spouse or court decision declaring his/her spouse death,

g) in case that child´s mother is single it is necessary to submit an affidative on personal status.


Female surname of a person of other nationality than Slovak can be registered without female inflection “ová” under § 16 letter a) or § 19 subsection 6 and 7 of the Act No. 154/1994 Co. on Register as amended.


Administrative fees

Administrative fees are collected under the current exchange rate (please be attention to Administrative fees section) in USD.

In case that the parents of the child are married at the time of the birth, but their marriage is not entered in the Special Register, meaning they do not have Slovak marriage certificate, it is necessary to apply for the entry of their marriage into the Special Register as well. In case, that at least one of the parents does not have valid Slovak passport or Slovak ID card, which was valid at the time of the birth of the, it is necessary to apply for the Slovak Citizenship Certificate or the child first.