Work and Holiday - New Zealand
Agreement between the Slovak republic and New Zealand on a working holiday scheme
The Agreement entered into force on April 17, 2012.
The Slovak Republic, through the diplomatic missions and consular offices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Slovak Republic, shall on application by a citizen of New Zealand, issue a national visa valid for a period of twelve months from the date of issue, to a citizen of New Zealand who satisfies each of the following requirements:
- has the primary intention to holiday in the territory of the Slovak Republic, with employment and study being incidental rather than primary reasons for the visit;
- is aged between eighteen (18) and thirty-five (35) years, both inclusive, at the time of application;
- is not accompanied by dependants;
- is a holder of a valid passport issued by New Zealand;
- possesses a ticket for departure from the Slovak Republic, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;
- possesses sufficient funds for his/her maintenance during the period of stay in the territory of the Slovak Republic, at the discretion of the relevant authorities;
- pays the prescribed national visa application fee;
- agrees to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in the territory of the Slovak Republic;
- complies with requirements specified in the national legislation of the Slovak Republic;
- and has not participated in the Scheme previously.
The Slovak Republic shall not permit citizens of New Zealand who have entered the territory of the Slovak Republic under the Scheme to engage in permanent employment for the same employer for the period of more than six (6) months during their stay in the territory of the Slovak Republic. The Slovak Republic shall permit citizens of New Zealand who have entered the territory of the Slovak Republic under the Scheme to enrol in training or study courses not exceeding a total of six (6) months duration during their stay in the territory of the Slovak Republic.
Slovak Republic will issue up to one hundred (100) National visas per annum to citizens of New Zealand who satisfy the requirements under the Work and Holiday scheme.
Person who has granted permission to enter the territory of the Slovak Republic and holds National visa will be permited to stay in Slovakia for a maximum period of twelve (12) months from the date of the first entry into the territory of Slovak Republic; and to exit and re-enter the territory of the Slovak Republic for the period of validity of the National visa under this programe. He/ she can study and undertake employment or volunteer work without a work permit.
1. Nationals of New Zealand to whom a National visa under this programe has been issued will only be permitted to engage in temporary employment during their stay in the territory of Slovak Republic, and have regard to the principal purpose of the stay , which is a holiday, with work being incidental to the holiday. Nationals of New Zealand to whom a National visa has been issued must not be employed by the same employer for more than six (6) month, during the twelve (12) month period in which the National visa is valid. Nationals of New Zealand in the Slovak Republic will be exempt from the obligation to hold a work permit to exercise an activity as an employee.
2. Nationals of New Zealand to whom a National visa has been issued will not be permitted to engage in any study or training of more than six (6) months duration during their stay in the territory of the Slovak Republic.
• health requirements means
To protect the Slovakian community from public health and safety risks, you must be free from disease or condition considered to be a threat to public health or a danger to the Slovakian community.
• character requirements means
Everyone who wants to enter the Slovak Republic must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements. You must declare all recorded offences to us. If you do not declare an offence and we become aware of this it might have a negative impact on your application.
How to apply
Using an official printed form, the visa application can be lodged only in person at the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Canberra, 47 Culgoa Circuit, O´Malley Canberra, ACT. Visa applicants have to complete an application for a visa before coming to the Embassy of Slovakia in Canberra and book a date of application for a visa at the Embassy. If more information is required, please contact the Embassy of the Slovak republic in Canberra. Do not finalise any travel arrangements until after the grant of your visa. This is because visa processing times can vary depending on your personal circumstances.
Application for national visa (pdf; 493.05 KB)