Member of the UN Human Rights Council 2018 – 2020
Address of the Minister
Slovakia´s valuable experience with the UN Human Rights Council membership in 2008-2011 was a motivating factor to submit again for the 2018-2020 membership. Slovakia played a significant role as the leader and coordinator in the process of preparation of the Third Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on a communications procedure in 2009-2011, thus strengthening guarantees of protection of the rights of the child further.
My country remains deeply committed to universal values of human rights and fundamental freedoms. They are interconnected with international peace, development and security. Slovakia will continue pursuing human rights perspective to be embodied in the UN's development, humanitarian and peacekeeping efforts.
Bearing in mind that the majority of the world's upheaval and injustices are human rights concerns, there is no doubt that conflict's prevention starts with the protection of human rights and their promotion.
The Human Rights Council is an important forum for the strengthening of respect for the universal promotion and protection of human rights. We need actions of the Human Rights Council, which will leave no one behind…
I would like to assure you that Slovakia will continue its active participation and engagement in protecting and promoting human rights world-wide.
Active implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, including the support and promotion of the rights and interests of children.
Fight against all forms of racism, xenophobia, and related intolerance is high on the Slovak priority list in the long run.
Support of freedom of religion or belief and religious tolerance remains basic element of Slovak human rights policy.
VOLUNTARY PLEDGES AND COMMITMENTS (Candidature for the HRC 2018 – 2020)
Implementation of international human-rights instruments
Emphasising the importance of protecting human rights on the international level, the Slovak Republic presents the following voluntary pledges and commitments :
- To support the efforts to incorporate human rights into all activities of the UN, including in the areas of development, peace and security;
- To actively participate in the activities of the HRC with the aim of strengthening its effectiveness and credibility;
- To become actively involved in the mechanism of the Universal Periodic Review and promote the effective implementation of the adopted recommendations;
- To develop cooperation between the government sector and civil society, while calling for the participation of non-governmental organisations in the activities of the HRC;
- To work together with the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and support its activities and independence;
- To cooperate with the UN’s treaty bodies and strive for the timely presentation of national periodic reports in relation to the conventions by which the Slovak Republic is bound;
- To support the universal ratification of human rights conventions of the UN;
- To pay special attention to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- To strengthen and support the rights of women and girls and equality between men and women in accordance with Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development;
- To promote the rights and interests of children, including the provision of quality education in accordance with Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development;
- To support the elimination of racism, xenophobia and other forms of intolerance in society;
- To fight against human trafficking and support the dignity and rights of victims of trafficking;
- To support the freedom of religion or belief and religious tolerance;
- To continue in consistent support of international law, including international humanitarian law;
- To raise awareness on the prevention of sexual violence and violence against women during armed conflicts;
- To pass on our own experiences in building democratic structures and human rights institutions to other countries in transition which express interest in this.
Implementation of national human-rights instruments
In order to further strengthen the protection of human rights at the national level, the Slovak Republic presents the following voluntary pledges and commitments:
- To support the rights of the children in accordance with the principle of the best interests of the child and fulfil the National Action Plan for Children;
- To strengthen institutional and practical protection of the rights of women in society, fulfil the National Strategy for Gender Equality and its action plan;
- Within the National Action Plan for the Elimination and Prevention of Violence against Women, to strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the mechanisms for the protection and support of victims of violence against women and domestic violence;
- To fulfil the Action Plan to Avoid all Forms of Discrimination, Racism, Xenophobia and Intolerance;
- To continue in the inclusion of excluded groups of the population into society with the aim of strengthening their human rights;
- To fulfil the Action Plan of Protection of Human Rights of Persons Belonging to National Minorities and Ethnic Groups;
- To fulfil the Strategy of the Slovak Republic for the Integration of Roma up to 2020;
- To ensure the systematic support for the preservation, expression, protection and development of the identity and cultural values of national minorities, in addition to education and training on the rights of persons belonging to national minorities; inter-ethnic and intercultural dialogue and understanding;