1. Domov
  2. Services
  3. Registration of marriage in the USA

Registration of marriage in the USA

We would like to ask you to read General information.

Aktualizované 21.07.2022
Publikované 21.07.2022

It is a state register on personal status of natural persons, which were born, died or get married on the territory of the Slovak Republic and Slovak citizens which were born, died or get married abroad.

Special Register includes entries about births, marriages and deaths of Slovak citizens abroad, at Slovak Embassies, boat or plane abroad and at territories, which do not belongs to any state.

Entry to the Special Register is executed on written application submitted with
a) marriage certificate (applicant – Slovak citizen) issued by foreign state,
b) document proving Slovak citizenship (Slovak ID, Slovak passport, Slovak citizenship certificate),
c) entry on marriage written at the Embassy or Register office or other document or proof.

At the time of event entering into the Special Register, the person of question should have been Slovak citizen.

The Special Register will register the event and issue marriage certificate, which will be sent to the Embassy. The Embassy will deliver issued marriage certificate to the person, who submitted the application.


Application for entry in Special Register – marriage

a) fulfilled  application to entry marriage

b) legalized (apostille) marriage certificate issued by foreign state officially translated into Slovak language,

c) documents proving Slovak citizenship (at least one of the spouses),

d) valid court decision on divorce of former marriage of Slovak citizen,

e) death certificate of Slovak citizen´s spouse or valid court decision on declaring death of former husband of Slovak citizen.

Female surname of a person of other nationality than Slovak can be registered without female inflection ”ová” under § 16 letter b) or § 19 subsection 6 of the Act No. 154/1994 Co. on Register as amended on request of female applicant. In case that woman in question would like to use a surname without female inflection “ová” and in submitted marriage certificate is her surname state without it, she should stipulate that in the entry on marriage written at the Embassy as a conventional for of woman surname.

With the documents on divorce of marriage abroad or court decisions of foreign court on determination/declining the father of the child it is necessary to submit the decision of County Court in Bratislava on recognition of the foreign decision in force (in case that international agreement does not stipulate other).

The Slovak authorities are not competent to issue a confirmation on capability to conclude marriage – it is possible to issue confirmation on this fact.


Administrative fees

Administrative fees are collected under the current exchange rate (please be attention to Administrative fees section) in USD.

In case that you are applying for the entry of the marriage after your previous marriage was divorced abroad, it is necessary to have the divorce listed in the Special Register first.